We all know that guy. The way he walks, talks, and smiles… well, it just radiates confidence. When you think about your own feelings of inadequacy in certain situations, you may wonder, “How does he do it? Was he just born that way? Where was I when they were handing out the ‘I can handle anything with poise and confidence’ gene?”
Well, first, be assured it is not genetic. Self-confidence is an acquired trait, and there are some simple things anyone can do to improve confidence.
You are what you do
“You are what you think.” That saying has made many feel that the way to increase their confidence is to change their thinking. While that can be true if you are someone who has a lack of self-esteem, the most powerful tool for most people in gaining confidence is simply to take action. Act in a new and positive way, and you’ll start to notice the changes in the way you feel about yourself and others.
Here are five positive actions you can take today to improve confidence:
1. De-clutter – Your surroundings impact your perception of yourself. If your home or workspace is full of clutter, paperwork, or other rubbish, set aside some time to clean it up and get yourself organized. You won’t believe the boost this will give to your feeling of being in control.
2. Smile – A scientific study showed that the way you feel doesn’t always begin in your brain. Other parts of your body can actually be sending your brain signals on how to feel. In other words, it’s not “I’m happy, so I’m smiling” – instead, it’s “I’m smiling so I must be happy.” Try it. Just smile and see if you feel not just happier, but more confident.
3. Do something for someone else – A wise man said “there is more happiness in giving” and that is certainly true. When you give your time and attention to others, you get an instant boost to your self-image. That enhanced self-esteem will radiate in all you do. So, look for some places in your community that can use volunteers and put your talents to work for others. Here are some suggestions for worthwhile organizations that can always use help. They will benefit, but you will reap some great dividends yourself!
4. Start small – With our busy lives, we are all in danger of trying to accomplish too much, too fast. It just results in dissatisfaction with our performance. Instead, try to break up tasks into small, do-able chunks. You’ll feel good about what you are accomplishing, and it will motivate you to continue until you finish. This cycle can feed on itself and help you to accomplish things you didn’t think you could – resulting in a powerful boost to your confidence level!
5. Be body confident – Changing your self-image can have a dramatic impact on your feeling of self-confidence. For example, many who are unhappy with the appearance of their teeth and smile have chosen to enhance it by using teeth whitening, porcelain veneers, or dental implants. Feeling confident in the way you look carries over into how competent you feel to deal with everyday situations.
Choose to improve confidence
Being confident is not a goal achieved in and of itself. As you can see from our list above, feeling confident is a by-product of how we choose to live our lives each day.
If you choose to improve confidence today by applying just one of our suggestions above, we’re confident you will soon be reaping enhanced self-assurance that will make you shine.
Call us to schedule an appointment and let us do what we can to help you improve your confidence!
Re-posted with permission. Source.